The Director of Individual Giving & Events is an exciting career opportunity for a passionate, organized, and articulate individual who is eager to contribute to the quality of life in the Eastern Iowa Corridor. The Director is responsible for the development, management, implementation, and evaluation of a regional fundraising program to support the organization’s mission and vision. This is a senior staff position charged with building and fostering a culture of deepened patron involvement for Orchestra Iowa, the Paramount Theatre, the Orchestra Iowa School, and the Opus Concert Café.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Annual Fund & Major Gift Campaigns
• Develop strategies to maximize individual philanthropic support through a variety of mediums including personal solicitation, direct mail, and electronic/tele-fundraising
• Research, identify, and rank potential donors; supervise moves management strategies; and manage Board and Staff solicitor portfolios.
• Cultivate new gifts and design stewardship programs to retain existing donors.
• Ensure accurate and timely patron correspondence, including solicitation, acknowledgement, and pledge reminder letters
• Represent Orchestra Iowa at performances, events, and in the community
• Identify and help secure (co-) chairs and committee members for special events
• Work with chairs and staff to create and manage event budgets
• Identify and solicit prospective individual event sponsors
• Work with Director of Marketing in event promotion
• Coordinate logistics with vendors and oversee execution of all events
• Assist with Board and volunteer leadership development
• Provide guidance and support to the Foundation board for its ongoing planned giving program and any endowment campaigns
• Staff fundraising and event committees and/or task forces
• Participate in rotation as Ticket Office Manager on duty for all shows ticketed through the Ticket Office.
• Assist the CEO, CFO, and Board in establishing appropriate fundraising and event goals; prepare regular gift reports and projections.
• Ensure grant and gift compliance by submitting required reports and acknowledgements adhering to IRS regulations and best practices
• Oversee the fulfillment of donor benefits
• Participate in creation of a master calendar consisting of deadlines, events, and solicitation mailings
• Serve as part of the senior management team in assisting the CEO in setting and implementing administrative policies
• Develop and maintain internal and external controls, as well as best practices to optimize fundraising efforts.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the CEO.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors degree and a minimum of five years of fundraising experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Extreme attention to detail
• Diplomacy in handling sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to manage multiple projects and succeed within fast-paced work environment
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Tessitura (or other patron relationship database)
• Passion for the performing arts a must
• Priority will be given to qualified candidates who also possess experience with major multi-year campaigns, including capital and endowment
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience. Orchestra Iowa provides health insurance, free parking, an employee only 403b retirement program and free tickets to Orchestra Iowa shows.
ABOUT ORCHESTRA IOWA
Founded in 1921, Orchestra Iowa is widely recognized as the state’s premier symphony orchestra. Its 68 professional musicians showcase their artistic excellence through more than 180 classical, ballet, opera, popular, chamber and educational performances each season, many of which are heard on Iowa Public Radio and seen on Iowa Public Television. Orchestra Iowa currently has an annual operating budget of $3 million, operates under a collective bargaining agreement with the American Federation of Musicians and is a member of the League of American Orchestras (Group 3) and the Regional Orchestra Players Association (ROPA).
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume with salary history and three references via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.